2012 - 2013 News
Below you will find information for the 2012-2013 YMCA Swimming season. It is very important that you register your team and your coaches on the YMCA Swimming and Diving website. This helps us get pertinent information for decision making for our league. I have entered in any training that I know of in our Region for Coaches. If anyone knows of any training that is not included, please contact me so I can get the information out to everyone.
I have attached a copy of the new "Rules that Govern" that was just updated. Please be sure to read through these to be sure your team is compliant.
There is a slightly new procedure for registration in that you will make your checks out to YMCA of the USA but will mail them to me. I will then mark your team as paid and send out your cards. Please let me know if you are a USA registered team and will have the "Y" principles put on your USA card so I won't need to make you a Region card.
I look forward to serving as your group representative. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions,concerns,or ideas. If I don't know the answer, I will seek it out. Please make note of the information at the bottom of this information about the Upper Southeast Regional Short Course Championship.
2012-13 YMCA Swimming Information
YMCA Team Registration – All Teams
- Access through www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org and find YMCA Annual Team Registration under the heading Useful Links. The password is 9622.
- On-line registration is now available, complete by Nov. 15, 2012
- All teams complete registration process. It is required in order to participate in sanctioned YMCA meets
Coach Registration – All Coaches
- Access through www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org and find YMCA Annual Coach Registration under the heading Useful Links. The password is 9622.
- Teams pay a flat $30 fee to register coaches and receive YMCA coach credentials (NOT $30 per coach)
- NEW – Make check for registration fees payable to YMCA of the USA and write 2013 Swim Coach Registration in the memo line and send to group rep.
- Complete coach registration by Nov. 15.
- Add coaches as necessary through the year but please submit any new coaches and updated certifications no later than two (2) weeks prior to a sanctioned championship meet.
All coaches on deck at practice or meets have the following certifications and are able to show proof of each:
- CPR, First Aid, Safety Training for Swim Coaches or Lifeguard*, Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving
- * A Lifeguard certification from Red Cross, YMCA, Starfish or Ellis & Associates is accepted as long as the coach also completes the online Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches test and presents proof of passing this test along with their Lifeguard certification card.
- USA Swimming prints a Y on coaches credentials if the Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving card is submitted to your LSC office with the other safety certification cards. All coaches register on the YMCA site, even if they plan to use their USA Swimming credential as proof of certification. When registering on the YMCA site, select NO when asked if you do not also want to receive a YMCA coaches card from your group representative.
YMCA Swimming Rules
- NEW – The Rules That Govern YMCA Competitive Sports has been updated by the YMCA of the USA. These are the set of mandatory rules which all YMCA competitive sports programs must follow. Please read the new document carefully.
- The 2012-13 YMCA Swimming Black Book will be available on the website by November 1. All coaches and teams are responsible for knowing and observing the information in the Black Book.
· Pool Depth - minimum depth of five (5) feet at the starting end for all competitions in which a YMCA team competes. Please reference the following: YMCA Lifeguard Program manual, The Parent/Child and Preschool Aquatic Program Manual, The Youth and Adult Aquatic Program Manual, YMCA Swim Lessons Administrative Manual, Principles of YMCA Aquatics, Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving, YMCA of the USA Aquatic Guidelines, Technical Assistance Paper for YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving, YMCA Swimming Black Book.
- For YMCA championship meets and large invitationals only
- Purpose: recognize the meet as a qualifying meet for YMCA Nationals (a meet that follows minimum standards of a YMCA championship level meet necessary for all swimmers to compete in YMCA Nationals)
- All sanctioned meet guidelines apply and are followed at the meet
- The deadline for submitting a sanction application is 60 days prior to the start of the meet. Submit applications and information early so they may be reviewed and any necessary changes can be made prior to the 60 day deadline.
- Sanction applications are completed and submitted online with meet information, proof of officials’ certification and payment to accompany the application
- ALL teams and coaches must be registered through the online YMCA team and coach registration system in order to participate in any sanctioned YMCA meet and be prepared to show proof of current certifications and registration.
Competitive Swimming and Diving dates and contacts:
November 8, 2012: Charlotte, NC Instructor: Eddie Beach email@example.com
If you know of any other classes in the area, please let me know so that I can get the information out to everyone in our region.
YMCA Swim Officials dates and contacts: I will be contacting Eddie Hughes to see about doing some training classes. If you know of any Official's training in your area, please contact me.
YMCA Virtual Invitational
- Hold meet between Oct. 20 and 28, 2012
- Information available now at www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org
- All YMCAs are strongly encouraged to participate in this unique national opportunity
- Use any format for your meet but submit results only for the events of the Virtual Invitational
- Greensboro, NC – April 3-6, 2013
- Time standards available in October, after approved at the National Advisory Committee Meeting
- Please use Stay With Us lodging, available online through the meet page on the website and let parents and coaches know the benefits of doing so
- Observe LSC rules for meet approvals and deadlines for such requests
- Membership for YMCA teams, coaches and swimmers is encouraged. There are many resources and opportunities for YMCA teams and coaches through membership. Several are YMCA-specific. New – YMCA Virtual Club Championship rankings (for YMCA teams only)
- Regional Club Development Consultants are valuable resources and friends of YMCA Swimming
- YMCA Branding information and the Competitive Sports Style Guide is on the YMCA Exchange website – www.ymcaexchange.org (username ymca, password 9622). There are very specific rules regarding the use of the new Y logo and related branding
- Work with your YMCA
- YMCAs are in the middle of a five year window within which to make the conversion to the cause-driven language and related branding
- Upper Southeast Region Short Course Championship meet will be held March 15-17, 2013 at the Upper Palmetto YMCA Aquatics Center in Rock Hill, SC. Time standards for the meet will the same as last year with "BB" times required for 12 and unders and specific time standards for 13 & up. We will go with the NEW 2012-2016 Quadrennial time standards that will come out in the fall for the "BB" time standard. Meet information will be forthcoming later in the season.
Again, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I am here to bring those concerns to our Regional meeting in October, so shoot me an email. If I can help you and your team in any way, please let me know.
Upper Southeast Regional Group Representative